part recognition

AIM discussions, tips and tricks, plug-ins, Q & A

Moderator: mnoschang

part recognition

Postby Gary_B » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi
I am currently devolping a aim vision application to distinguish between good and bad parts I was wondering would anyone have any advice on the best way to approach this in AIM 4.2?
Thanks
Gary_B

Re: part recognition

Postby mnoschang » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm

I suppose it depends on exactly what you are trying to do. You may be measuring a part, counting features, or determining presence / absence of something. Regardless, you first have to come up with some criteria for what constitutes a good part and what constitutes a bad one. You will have to figure out what tools you can use to quantify the differences (e.g., ruler tools, window tools to count pixels, etc.) and then you will want to use an inspection record to test these values. You will have to establish high/low limits for your inspection. Once you do this, there are several ways to go, depending on exactly what your application is. If it is a conveyor tracking application, I prefer using an object definition frame. It ties together the conveyor, the vision tools for locating the product, and allows you to specify an inspection record to pass/fail the part. If you are not doing a conveyor tracking app, you can use a conditional frame to pass / fail the part, and only return the coordinates if it passes the inspection.
mnoschang

Postby Gary_B » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks for your reply much appreciated I am currently using it for a conveyor tracking application and the good and bad parts are determined by their size and geometry with good pieces being placed in a certain location and bad in a different position. I am thinking of using the ruler tool to help determine the good and bad parts would you recommend this?
Thanks
Regards
Gary_B
Gary_B

Postby mnoschang » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 am

Ruler tools may be a good choice, but can be susceptible to a noisy image. I have used them many times in the past, but you just have to be careful. Sometimes it is better to use line finders or circle finders and measure the distance between them. it totally depends on your parts. No matter what tools you use, you will just have to test extensively to make sure that they are robust and do what you need them to do.
mnoschang

Return to AIM