Importing a picture or drawing into the 3D visualization

Tips and tricks for Adept ACE

Importing a picture or drawing into the 3D visualization

Postby Hee Man Bae » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:17 am

Does any one know how to import a picture or drawing file into the ACE robot workspace? I am trying to superimpose or overlay a "map" or trajectory image in front of the robot gripper so that the robot appears to be tracing the trajectory. It's for make-believe visual effect. Help will be much appreciated.

HB
Hee Man Bae

Re: Importing a picture or drawing into the 3D visualization

Postby stephano » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:41 am

You can import a CAD file (STL, STEP, IGES) if you right click in the workspace explorer and choose New --> 3D Visualization --> CAD Data from the context menu.

If you have a vision licence, you can add an emulation camera and display an image:

VirtualCamera.PNG
VirtualCamera.PNG (350.28 KiB) Viewed 2660 times

If you tell me what ACE version u use, I can send you a plugin to visualize the robots trajectory in the 3D window.

Regards,
Stephan
stephano

Postby Hee Man Bae » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:07 am

Thank you for the reply.

My ACE version is 3.5.2.2. I am doing some development work in emulation mode. My CX controller is not attached to a robot and I couldn't connect ACE to the controller. It has license for AdeptWindows, but ACE is not showing up in the NVRAM.

As in your screen capture, I can import jpg images into the emulation and camera pages, but cannot put the image inside the work envelope of the robot (Quattro) gripper like conveyor or elementary 3-D visualization objects (cylinder, block, etc.). The license dongle Adept gave us (yes, I am associated with university) does not seem to make any difference.

Please send me the link to the plug-in you mentioned.

HB
Hee Man Bae

Postby stephano » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:29 am

Maybe this functionality wasn't implemented in ACE 3.5.
I would suggest to install a newer version of ACE.

You can find the latest releases here:
https://spaces.hightail.com/space/81CIXhxDuY

To display the camera image in the 3D window you need to add a camera calibration and define the position of the camera relative to the robot:
calibration.PNG
calibration.PNG (112.4 KiB) Viewed 2608 times

Add a fixed pixel calibration to the virtual camera to define the size of the image:
virtual_camera.png
virtual_camera.png (111.56 KiB) Viewed 2608 times
stephano

Return to Adept ACE