Pick position via serial communication

Adept Cobra i600 and i800 SCARA robots

Pick position via serial communication

Postby arifbustani » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:50 pm

Hi, I am working on an a pick and place application (using i800) where the pick position changes for every incoming tray. The pick position is known and can be transfered to the i800 via serial bus.

I am wondering if it is possible to do that? If so where can I get an example program that will get me started?

Thanks in advance.
arifbustani

Re: Pick position via serial communication

Postby seank » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:01 pm

Edit: Micro V+ does not support Disk I/O operations. This includes reading and writing via serial.
Sean Kelly
Applications Engineer
Adept Technology, Inc.
seank

Postby arifbustani » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:09 pm

So I am assuming that the example code you refered to in the response will work on i800 as well which uses MicroV+ (a small subset of V+). Is that assumption correct?

Thanks
Arif
arifbustani

Postby seank » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 pm

This example does not apply to Micro V+. The functionality you are looking for is not supported. You would need to have a PC connected to the robot performing the necessary communication to the iSeries Cobra.
Sean Kelly
Applications Engineer
Adept Technology, Inc.
seank

Postby arifbustani » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:59 am

Yes, we have a PC connected to the iSeries Robot which will transfer the position of the objects to be picked. I just need an example that will work with MicroV+ to mke it happen.

In other words I need an example that will show how an i Series model will initialize its serial port and process the incoming messages from the serial bus.
arifbustani

Postby arifbustani » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 am

Oh, I just noticed the edited version of your initial post. So the i 800 cann not accept messages over serial port? That's very sad.
arifbustani

Postby seank » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:01 pm

If you have a PC hooked up to the iSeries robot, you can install ACE from our download center. With this software you can connect to the iSeries robot. If you create global variables in ACE, you can modify them and the changes will be reflected on the robot.

Depending on how your pick position is being sent to your PC, you can extract this information in ACE (the How? part of this depends on your setup and how you are inputting the Pick positions) and set it to a Global variable which is then accessed by the robot.

Hopefully this helps, I think what you are trying to accomplish is possible. The ease depends on your setup and where the pick offsets are coming from.

However, as mentioned earlier, reading/writing other information via the serial port is not supported.
Sean Kelly
Applications Engineer
Adept Technology, Inc.
seank

Postby arifbustani » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:31 pm

Ok, I am little confused now.

So how is ACE communicating to the Robot?

Basically my intention is too\ avoid extra software layer and communicate directly to the Robot unit. If I understand correctly what you are saying is that the robot unit (i800 in my case) will communicate over serial port at run time but only with ACE software. Is that correct?

Thanks
arifbustani

Return to Cobra i600/i800