part present sensor

High-speed parallel robots

part present sensor

Postby Noelricoiii » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum. We recently have 3 Adept Quattro s650H installed on one of our packaging lines. The robot is amazing and fun to watch. However, the part present installed is a Piab vacuum sensor. We had issues with it since the start. We had problem with drop pick alarms. We replaced all of them, adjusted to the desired setting but it continue to be a headache. I don't know why this was the choice of sensing instead of a proximity or fiber optic type. I was not involve on the project but recently took over our packaging maintenance. MGS packaging did the conversion of the packaging line so I'm not sure if Adept selected the pick and place components. Anyway, I was hoping that anybody have the same issues or not? the part that we pick is a foil pouch (we make respiratory inhalation drug filled in plastic ampules or vials). Any reply will be appreciated.
Noelricoiii

Re: part present sensor

Postby seank » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:29 pm

If you could provide some more details on the specific issues that you are having with the vacuum sensor/part presence sensor, that would significantly help with debugging the system. Is there an issue with the gripper not fully sealing on the foil pouch resulting in an inaccurate reading from the vacuum sensor?
Sean Kelly
Applications Engineer
Adept Technology, Inc.
seank

Re: part present sensor

Postby Noelricoiii » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:55 am

Thanks Sean for ur reply, for the most part, the process is working but not bullet proof. Drop pick alarm will show up sporadically throughout the production run. We also had one incident that the robot cycled without a pouch and delivered the carton with less product count or even empty. We found out that the vacuum sensor was too sensitive. This is our biggest concern since we don't have a secondary inspection on the product count in the carton. I'm not convinced why the vacuum sensor was the choice of part present sensor hence our ongoing issues with it. We have another packaging line that has similar process of pick and place but it uses a proximity sensor. No issues with it. Anyway, we're pushing forward on redesigning it with MGS. Your reply will be appreciated..
Noelricoiii

Return to Adept Quattro Robots