Braking Force on AdeptOne?

A1, XL1, XL3, MV Cobra, and A6 Robots

Moderator: MikeM

Braking Force on AdeptOne?

Postby SamsonPhan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:45 am

Hello,
We have a very old AdeptOne in our lab. I'm trying to find out what the braking force is on each joint. I read for AdeptXL systems, one can use the Safe_utl. I tried that but that program is unfortunately not compatible with our robot. We get an error saying so. Is there any way to trick the program into allowing me to do this, or use an alternative program? Thank you
SamsonPhan

Re: Braking Force on AdeptOne?

Postby DaveS » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:16 am

Well to start off I don't believe SAFE_UTL will give you any values as to "braking force" it is a pass/fail type of test, the system tries to move the robot with the brakes on and if it moves the test fails. Also the SAFE_UTL test is only for CAT3 systems with a Manual Mode Safety Panel (MMSP) installed. I am curious as to why you need to know the braking force for each joint.
DaveS

Postby SamsonPhan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi DaveS,
Thanks for your reply. I'm trying to understand where the energy is going during an inadvertent collision. We have our Adept rigged such that when it collides with something, it will automatically stop, as if someone had hit the emergency stop. Some of the energy is going into the collision interface, but some of it is also being dissipated by the brakes. If I knew the braking profile (braking force and distance), I could figure out the work done.

Alternatively, if I could get an typical values, that would be a very helpful start. Thanks
SamsonPhan

Postby DaveS » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:40 pm

We don't have the information readily available. But in talking with one of our mechanical engineers, he indicated a top speed Joint 1 could travel 40 degrees of rotation before it came to a full stop after tripping a estop.
DaveS

Postby SamsonPhan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks DaveS for looking into this. It's definitely a starting point. If you have any more information, I'd greatly appreciate it.
SamsonPhan

Return to Adept MV Robots