Information about VMI / VJI (obsolete)

Moderator: MikeM

Information about VMI / VJI (obsolete)

Postby hsielemann » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Hello everybody,

I know it is probably without hope since the forum is not that busy, but I am looking for any kind of technical information about the old VMI and VJI boards.
In particular connector pin outs and description / configuration info.
I went through a ton of pdfs from the archived manuals but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have an old MV-8 controller with 040,SCSI-SIO2,VGB,VIS,VJI,VMI and DIO running V+11.4

Thanks
hsielemann

Re: Information about VMI / VJI (obsolete)

Postby DaveS » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forum. I order to better help you, please tell me more about your ultimate goal for this controller and I will help where I can.
DaveS

Postby hsielemann » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Thanks for the fast response, didn't expect that...

First of all, it is a 'educational / hobby only' project, triggered by working with adept robots in the 90's and early 00's.
My background is electronic engineering and apparently too much time at hand.

Goal is using this controller to drive an X/Y table (minimum) or even an old Unimation 560 arm (maximum) where I have the whole documentation for, including schematics.
I know that for the 6 axis robot I would need another VMI / MI-3 or even better a MI-6 but first I wanted to find out about what the capabilities of my current hardware are and if I could use it for my project.

That's it for now, let me know if you need more information to help me out.

Thank you so far!
Last edited by hsielemann on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hsielemann

Postby DaveS » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:10 pm

The VMI could run your X/Y table but the EJI is pretty useless unless your running an Adept Robot. I will see what I can do to get you the pin outs for the VMI Cable. In the meantime you can look here (http://www1.adept.com/main/KE/DATA/Arch ... MVMEUG.PDF) for information on AdeptMotion.
DaveS

Postby hsielemann » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:25 pm

I traced the connectors back to the circuitry on the VMI board and I somewhat know which pins serve as output pairs or input pairs. The next step would have been to configure the system for one axis at a time and carefully connect switches to the inputs and leds to the outputs to find out the channels.
But if you can find that information for me, that would save a lot of time.

Back to the VJI, at least that says the label: the interface is something that only works with adept drives? If so, the external encoder functionality is all I can use on that? Or is there any kind of info about how the VJI / EJI 'talks' to the encoders / drives?
hsielemann

Postby DaveS » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:53 pm

I should be able to provide the VMI info tomorrow. As far as the belt encoder on the VJI I will need to investigate if it is possible to configure that to work solo.
DaveS

Postby hsielemann » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:17 am

Hello,

did you have a chance to find the information you were talking about?
I don't want to push but if there is no chance to get any info, I would go ahead and to further probing.

Thank you in advance.
hsielemann

Postby DaveS » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:14 am

Sorry for the delay. Here are the signal outputs from the Machine, Encoder and Servo ports on the VMI.
As far as the question concerning running the belt encoder from the VJI I was not able to find any info on that. I recommend posting that question to the V+ Forum and see they have an answer.
Attachments
VMI Outputs.xlsx
(12.53 KiB) Downloaded 1267 times
DaveS

Postby hsielemann » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:23 am

Thank you very much!
I will follow your advise and post in the V+ section.
hsielemann

Postby hsielemann » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:34 pm

More news:

In the meantime I got a MI3 board. I started to connect an old Unimate Puma 560 controller to the unit and I am able to drive one joint for testing.
This looks very promising, very interesting procedure to fine tune the motor / drive / arm combination.

Thanks again to DaveS for the information about the VMI connectors.
hsielemann

Return to MV Controls