clock and auto boot

Moderator: MikeM

clock and auto boot

Postby jekohl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:24 pm

We have an AWC2 60 controller with V+ 13.2 running an ESEC Micron 2 production machine. Yesterday and today the system booted up to the V+ prompt but did not load and run auto.v2. We were still able to use the machine by loading and running auto.v2 manually. Also, we noticed that the system clock seems to run while the machine is on but does not run while the machine is off, i.e. the system date is the same as yesterday. Does anyone know what might be causing this?
jekohl

Re: clock and auto boot

Postby hsielemann » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

There is a backup battery on the CPU, a CR1225FH-LF from Renata. Just go to your favorite supplier and you should get them for $1,50 or a little more.
It is tricky to replace them since the ground plane 'sucks' the heat away from the solder pad. It's doable.
I'm not saying that is the problem, but it is the cheapest shot at it. If that does not work, you need to dig deeper.
Good Luck!
hsielemann

Postby jekohl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Thanks for the reply. We procured and installed the battery. We reset the system clock. The system still did not auto boot so we ran CONFIG_C to check the contents of the NVRAM. After selecting to DISPLAY NVRAM contents, the monitor displays MODEL, Serial number, Options (with list), IP Address, IP Subnet mask, Def config IP with all appropriate data. Then

CURRENT NVRAM SWITCH SETTINGS ...
error: * nvram data invalid *

Any suggestions?
jekohl

Postby hsielemann » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 pm

You have to initialize this portion of the NV-RAM and set the desired settings or mess with the real dip switches on the AWC board.
I would suggest you set the proper settings in the NV-RAM.
One of them is the autostart.

Read chapter 4 / page 78 of this:
http://www1.adept.com/main/KE/DATA/Controller/Adept%20MV%20Controller%20User%20V13/MVCUG.PDF

and page 80 ff. of this:
http://www1.adept.com/main/ke/data/pdf_web/utilities.pdf

That should help. Good Luck!
hsielemann

Postby jekohl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:24 pm

I had gotten a little worried after reading in one of the manuals that I should only initialize a new NVRAM, but we were able to initialize and set the NVRAM switches successfully. The system keeps time when off after installing the new battery, and runs auto.v2 after setting the NVRAM switches. Thanks for your help!
jekohl

Return to MV Controls