Smart phone app for localization

Commercially-available robots from Adept MobileRobots

Smart phone app for localization

Postby Rabert » Tue May 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Hate to ask but are there any plans to develope a app for android/apple products for a mobile eyes? It would help our customers get their robots running faster if they could pull up on their phone and localize w/o having to grab a laptop or PC?

Just a thought
Rabert

Re: Smart phone app for localization

Postby ToddR » Wed May 30, 2012 10:55 am

Thank you for the feedback. We are always happy to take suggestions like these. Yes, a smartphone app is very possible with our current technology, and in truth there is nothing stopping anyone with the right skills from making their own. That said, we don't have something put together that can be used for localization. Suggestions like these provide valuable feedback on how the products are being used in the field, and will affect the way we develop products in the future.

If your goal is to eliminate the need to grab a laptop or head to a PC to re-localize a lost robot, there are other strategies that you could use that are currently available. The first one that comes to mind is the "localize to goal" robot task.

First, in SetNetGo for the robot, in the ARAM section, check the checkbox for "enableTaskLocalizeAtGoal"
Next, in MobilePlanner, create a goal which must have a heading at which you want to localize the robot.
Then create a macro in MobilePlanner, and drag the robot task "LocalizeAtGoal" into the macro.
Now you can wire a button to an input on the robot, and specify in SetNetGo that when this button is pressed, the macro you just created should be run.

Then, in the environment where the robot is being used, if it gets lost anyone can push the robot to a known location for re-localizing, and push the re-localize button. You should make it hard for someone to push this button by accident so they don't unintentionally localize the robot at that goal when it is not there, which would likely get the robot lost.

In some cases this might be even easier than a phone app for localizing. If this is a solution that could work for you, please try it out. If you have any questions on how to make this work please let us know.
ToddR

Postby Rabert » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:58 am

I did not realize that I could create a goal that was only there for localization purposes. Will have to look into that one. Also, when logging into the robot through wifi on the home page there is a localize robot button. I have tried that with no luck. Is there a way to activate that as well? If so that would take care of it. I am assuming that the button on the home screen is also set with a localization goal.
Rabert

Postby ToddR » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:43 pm

Unfortunately it is not possible to use that portion of code. We apologize for the misleading presence of this feature on the web interface available for the Robocourier. I'd recommend the method of using an additional button to trigger a macro which will localize the robot to a particular goal which you've pushed it to.

Is the robot getting lost a lot and requiring localization, or is this request just a precaution? If the robot is getting lost frequently then we can take a closer look at why and try to reduce/eliminate this occurrence.
ToddR

Return to Adept Mobile Robots