File time Win NFS to Adept

AdeptWindows discussions, tips and tricks, plug-ins, Q & A

Moderator: mnoschang

File time Win NFS to Adept

Postby teknikiharmoni » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:21 am

Has anybody figured out the formula for time difference between a file fdir'ed in adept contra NFS on a PC. It seems as this offset value changes when we change from winter to summer time. It's hard to just change the difference by date as the winter/summer time changes on different dates each year.
By saving a dummy file on the server and fdir it, I use this time to synchronize the Adept systems (15pcs) clock with a net server so that all files saved gets the right time whether save local or on server.
Is the time that the NFS server read to the adept system not the same value that you see on the PC?
Is this spooky value the same despite winter/summer time setting?
Anybody found a workaround?
Malmborgs Teknik i Harmoni
Anders Malmborg
Bråmåbovägen 120
792 90 Sollerön
+46 (0)70 54 22060
Fax +46(0)250 22060
TeknikiHarmoni.com
teknikiharmoni

Re: File time Win NFS to Adept

Postby Davidm » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:47 pm

When saving a file through NFS I believe that the time-stamp will always reflect the time as it is on the controller. You can change the time on the controller using a "TIME dd-mmm-yy hh:mm:ss" command in the monitor window. I also don't think that the controller follows a certain timezone or even accounts for daylight savings, so it may be necessary to adjust the time on the controller twice per year to keep it in sync. I don't think there is an easy way to automatically sync the controller time with the time on your PC.
Davidm

Postby teknikiharmoni » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:38 pm

Hi David
Thanks for prompt answer.

There is an easy way to get the server time as I explained earlier:
Save a dummy file on the net server, Fdir it to read its file time stamp, add a correction offset for the hours, voila!
The problem is that this offset changes at summer/winter time change. Its this change I want to get hold of.

I use this to be able to have automatic program updates from the net server to each controller, thats why the time setting is important.

Setting the time manually always creates a lot of confusion, and is not my idea of a good operators interface.
Anders Malmborg
Bråmåbovägen 120
792 90 Sollerön
+46 (0)70 54 22060
Fax +46(0)250 22060
TeknikiHarmoni.com
teknikiharmoni

Postby teknikiharmoni » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:46 pm

I solved this problem this fairly elegant way:

If double-click on displayed time an alert pops up where you either can add or deduct one hour or make a new time sync to the netserver.
Only accessible for system and higher users, not operators .
Anders Malmborg
Bråmåbovägen 120
792 90 Sollerön
+46 (0)70 54 22060
Fax +46(0)250 22060
TeknikiHarmoni.com
teknikiharmoni

Return to AdeptWindows