Vision on the fly?

Vision on the fly?

Postby weibull760 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:02 pm

I have a s600 using ACE/AdeptSight 3.6.3.2, SmartController EX, and a SmartVision MX pc.

I'm trying to move the arm-mounted camera from side to side in a smooth continous motion while running a vision sequence in a loop until it finds a part to pick up. Ideally I would like to use a position latch that is triggered when the camara picture is taken but I can't seem to find anyway to do that. I have it sort of working by recording the robots position right before and after taking the picture and doing some offset calculations based on speed but its not as reliable as I would like.

I found this article but it seems to only pertain to the SmartMotion software. But this is exactly what I'm looking to do.
http://www1.adept.com/main/KE/DATA/V%20Plus/Utility%20Program%20Instructions/Position_latching.html

Thanks for the help.
weibull760

Re: Vision on the fly?

Postby stephano » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:29 am

Hello weibull760,

if you have a look at the eV+ reference guide you will see that the commands latched() and latch() are available.

The latched() command returns 0 if no latch has been detected, +n if a rising edge on input n was detected and -n if a falling edge on input n was detected.
N represents any digital input signal on the controller, from 1001 to 1012.

The latch() command returns a transformation value that represents the location of the robot when the last external trigger occurred or the last Stop On Digital Signal occurred.

clear.latches() empties the latch buffer for the selected device.

Here is an example to save the actual position of the robot if the latch signal 1003 is triggered:

Code: Select all

AUTO l.pos
        CLEAR.LATCHES (1)
        DO
            WAIT
        UNTIL (LATCHED(1)== 1003)

SET l.pos = LATCH()

There are four steps necessary to use the robot latch functionality:
1. Wire the latch output of your camera to one of the inputs (1001 to 1012) of your Smart Controller EX.
If you tell me what camera you use I can provide you a wiring scheme.
2. Use the the pylon Viewer software to enable the latch signal on the camera.
3. In ACE under Controller -> Configure -> Configure controller -> Robot_Section enter the poslatch signal number.
latch2.PNG
latch2.PNG (57.17 KiB) Viewed 7203 times

4. Set the "Read robot position latch" parameter of your Camera calibration to "true"
latch.PNG
latch.PNG (126.99 KiB) Viewed 7203 times

HTH,
Stephan
stephano

Postby weibull760 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi Stephan,

Perfect!! Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for.

The camera I'm using is a Basler acA1600-60gm. If you could post the wiring diagram that would be great.

Thank you for your help!
weibull760

Postby weibull760 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:36 pm

One other thing...

Can you tell me where in the Pylon Viewer settings to find the setting to enable the latch signal? I've poked around in there with the Guru setting enabled but I can't seem to find any setting related to sending an output after image capture.

Thanks again!
weibull760

Postby stephano » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:45 am

Hello weibull760,

additionally to the ethernet cable you'll need to add the signal wire from the camera to the controller.

table.PNG
table.PNG (13.08 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

If you want to use another input or add an additional camera you'll need to exchange pin 1 and 2 for the corresponding pins for that input, eg Input 1002 pins 3 and 4.

1193px-AcA1600-60gm_LatchWiring.PNG
1193px-AcA1600-60gm_LatchWiring.PNG (337.07 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

Latch settings:

Open the pylon Viewer software and change the access level to guru. Double click on your camera to connect.

Set Line Source to Exposure Active. Set User Output Selector to User Settable Output 1:

Pylon_viewer_exposure_active.png
Pylon_viewer_exposure_active.png (30.25 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

After setting the camera to Exposure Active we want this setting to be applied every time the camera boots up.
Expand the Configuration Sets. Set Configuration Set Selector to User Set 1. Set Default Startup Set to User Set 1. Click the Execute button next to User Set Save to save this configuration.

Pylon_viewer_usersets.png
Pylon_viewer_usersets.png (31.63 KiB) Viewed 7162 times

Reagrds,
Stephan
stephano

Postby weibull760 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:08 pm

Can't tell you 'Thank You' enough for this!! This is perfect! You just saved me a ton of time and hassle!

I found my camera signal cable and will be trying this out next week. Thanks for all your help!
weibull760

Return to AdeptSight